Starting a business in
Congratulations! You have honed in on a product or service to sell and need to know what to do to get your business started! We are here to help. Follow the steps below and reach out if you have any questions during the process. Scroll further down to view other resources available to Brookville, Montgomery County, and Ohio businesses!
1. Name your business and purchase a domain name.
Choose your business name! Check the United States Patent and Trademark Office to ensure your chosen name isn't already registered. Also, check the Ohio Secretary of State's business search page.
Purchase your domain name. A domain name gives your business instant credibility and puts you in the same online marketplace as your largest competitors. If your desired name is not available, you may wish to make slight changes to your name to have a domain that matches.
2. Register with the Ohio Secretary of State
3. Create a business plan
Tips and samples are available here
4. Obtain a federal EIN - click here
5. Report newly-hired and re-hired employees to the Ohio new hire reporting center
6. Open a Bank account (you will need your EIN to open your bank account) and start building business credit. See below - Other Resources.
7. Join your local Chamber of Commerce! You are ready to join your chamber! We have partnered with companies that can help you through the next several steps.
8. If you have one or more employees, click here
Contact Brandon Hunter with Hunter Consulting for reduced BWC rates (must be a chamber member) at
800-486-6652 or firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Identify requirements of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Click here and search "employers."
10. Obtain proper licenses and permits, click here
Make sure to check with the proper county and local government to determine if special requirements exist for your type of business.
City of Brookville: (Contact Rod Stephan, Economic Development - 937-833-2135 x106 or email@example.com)
Montgomery County: (937-225-4351 FranklinL@mchio.org)
If you need a loan, we recommend you start where you do your personal banking. The SBA is a great alternative, visit them here.
The Montgomery County Business Solutions Center is a great location for holding meetings or training, taking business courses, navigating government, workforce planning, and much more! Contact our friends by visiting here or calling 937-813-1200.
The Montgomery County Public Library is a great resource for starting a business. Visit here or stop in and ask about Launch Point.
The Ohio Department of Development's Minority Business Development Division (MBDD) supports the growth and sustainability of minority-owned, small, and disadvantaged businesses in Ohio. Click here to learn more.
Launch Dayton is a network of 20+ organizations across the Dayton, Ohio region that serve entrepreneurs, business owners, and startup founders. You can find several great resources here - the "Business Resources" tab includes a Resource Guide, Business Toolkit (free online business courses), Entrepreneur Rising Academy, and a Mentor Network.
If you have any questions during this process, please give us a call! 937-833-2375.