Starting a business in
1. Name your business
Choose your business name! Check the united states patent and trademark office to make sure the name you choose isn't already registered. Also, check the Ohio secretary of state's business search page.
2. Register with the Ohio Secretary of State
3. Create a business plan
Tips and samples are available here
4. Obtain a federal EIN - click here
5. Report newly-hired and re-hired employees to the Ohio new hire reporting center
6. Open a Bank account (you will need your EIN to open your bank account)
7. Join your local chamber of commerce! You are ready to join your chamber! We have partnered with companies that can help you through the next several steps.
8. If you have one or more employees, click here
Contact Brandon Hunter with Hunter Consulting for reduced BWC rates (must be chamber member) at
800-486-6652 or email@example.com
9. Identify requirements of the ohio department of job and family services. Click here and search "employers."
10. Obtain proper licenses and permits, click here
Make sure to check with the proper county and local government to determine if special requirements exist for your type of business.
If you need a loan, we recommend you start where you do your personal banking. The SBA is a great alternative, visit them here.
The Montgomery County Business Solutions Center is a great location for holding meetings or training, taking business courses, navigating government, workforce planning, and much more! Contact our friends by visiting here or calling 937-813-1200.
The Montgomery County Public Library is a great resource for starting a business. Visit here or stop in and ask about Launch Point.
If you have any questions during this process, please give us a call! 937-833-2375